Thursday, December 18, 2008

Why won't People Just Slow Down?

Back in October I read a post on the blog about most people's disregard for the law when it comes to speeding. I posted a comment on it and after I did, I started thinking quite a bit about it. I used to speed every time I drove somewhere. It was never more than about 5 over the limit, but after reading and commenting on this blog, I realized what I was doing was against what I believe, and what I believe is that we should always follow the law. When I really thought about it I realized that speeding as I did wasn't even getting me to my destination any faster. I always got stuck behind someone going slower than me and arrived almost no sooner than if i had just obeyed the law. I was breaking the law and putting myself and others in greater danger for a reason that wasn't even worth it.

Since then I have been trying my best to go only the speed limit or slower, and I still seem to be able to get to places just as quickly as if I were going a few more miles an hour faster. It is interesting now to see when I am driving a longer distance how many will pass me seemingly going much faster than I, but 20 miles down the road at the next town I often pull up right behind them at a stop light. I find this hilarious. It is incredible how many people will risk their life and others, and also risk being ticketed, for a measly one or two minutes of decreased travel time.

I suppose that if you had many hours of driving to do, then it might get you a substantial amount of time if you were speeding. But for the driving I think most of us do, we can easily drop our speed without any major setbacks. It just makes sense. You lessen your chance of harming yourself or others, and you eliminate the possibility of getting a speeding ticket at all. And above all speeding is AGAINST THE LAW no matter how you try to justify your reasoning for speeding.

For those of you who are already obeying the law, keep up the good work! For others, please slow down! It isn't going to hurt you any, unless you're on the freeway and trying not to get run over. If you want to go faster, you'll need to change the law.

No comments: